Student Leadership Opportunities
Our Flourishing Life Leaders form an integral part of the Student Voice within our school. Our Flourishing Life Leadership Team, with representation across Y7 - Y13, have the opportunity to meet regularly with the Headteacher and Assistant Headteacher of Personal Development. This allows the Flourishing Life Leader Team to take action and make positive changes within our school community and beyond. The Flourishing Life Leaders are overseen by our Year 11 and Sixth Form Head Students making it a real student lead responsibility. We expect Flourishing Life Leaders to represent our schools Character virtues of Hope, Ambition, Respect, Action, Compassion, Truth, Excellence and Resilience whilst placing Christ at the centre of all that they do.
Aims of the Flourishing Life Leader Team:
- To empower students to work in partnership with staff towards shared goals.
- To provide opportunities for students to flourish within the school and wider community
- To provide a chance for students to develop leadership skills through a variety of opportunities which impact positively within school on learning, teaching and well-being for both students and staff, as well as out of school in the local community.
- Ensure that all students have excellent communication skills to allow them to access all areas of school life.
- To make sure every child feels safe and welcome in school.
St Mary’s Catholic High School and College will:
- Provide a Student Leadership tie or pin badge so they can be easily identified around school site by all members of the community.
- Provide a wide range of participation and leadership opportunities which cater for all students in the school.
- Provide students with access to key staff for support and guidance.
Flourishing Life Leader Actions
Our Senior flourishing Life Leaders asked all pupils to complete a survey to identify their priorities for this academic year. The survey identified that the pupils of St Mary’s aim to:
- Ensure that everyone, no matter their differences, feels included and accepted in our school
- Create an Anti bullying culture within our school so that all pupils feel supported and safe.
Flourishing Life Leaders across all year groups are invited to sign up to and support the following committees. This will enable them to support the school community in achieving their aims.
Head Students – Zach, Jada and Molly
Deputy Students – Cara and Josh
(Pupils meet fortnightly with Headteacher and Assistant Headteacher for Personal Development)
Committees meet twice per half term with their Staff Lead.
Wellbeing Ambassadors work to support their fellow student’s needs. They work to promote positive mental health by offering ‘mindful’ lunch time drop-in sessions and offering mindful activities.
You can always find an Anti-bullying Ambassador nearby. They are on duty every break and lunch time, patrolling the yard and designated classrooms. If there is ever an issue with bullying the Anti-bullying Ambassadors are trained to spot, report and support as a result of their Diana Award training.
They provide support for students and disseminate information to students to raise awareness across our school community.
Members of the committee can provide support for students who are affected by issues that arise under the umbrella of LGBT.
The social action committee works hard to support social action, locally, nationally, and internationally. They are responsible for organising the support of school events. They organise fund raising and awareness events throughout the year.
Students will be involved in organising engaging learning environments, running clubs for other students and being involved in department events. Students will develop skills in leadership, teamwork, and collaboration.
*Each group of ambassadors will be invited to present their Action plans for the year to SLT and will then share these with all pupils across the school.